They say the odds are against me. They say the odds of winning tonight’s $500 million Powerball jackpot is 1 in 175,223,510. I say never tell me the odds (thanks for the sound bite Han Solo).
Just like children wishing for Santa or the Easter Bunny, we adults need some sort of miracle to believe in, no matter how far stretched it would be. Now I am not saying play your weekly paycheck in the hopes of striking it rich. No, what I am saying play the lottery with a few dollars when the jackpot is extremely high as the excitement of winning and the dreams of possibilities are endless and make for a little fun with your money.
CNN.com reported a few unlikely scenarios that are more likely than hitting it big:
- Dying from a bee sting: 1 in 6.1 million.
- Dying from being struck by lightning: 1 in 3 million.
- Being struck by lightning over an 80-year lifetime: 1 in 10,000.
- Being attacked by a shark: 1 in 11.5 million
Again, I say never tell me the odds; it’s my dollar and my dream. So just what would I do if I won the $500 million? Well, after receiving the lump sum amount of $327 million and then after taxes the amount will probably be about $180 million. I guess that’s enough to get by.
Of course the celebratory dinner, estate planning, donating to charity, help remodel the local high school, paying college tuition for all family members and paying off family member’s mortgages and the likes are all part of what I will do with the winnings but it’s no fun to discuss on this post. So what would I do? Well …
Winnings Wish List
- Fly to San Diego for a fish taco
- Build a basement for the house
- Finally hold that pig roast I have been talking about and hiring Jimmy Buffett as the entertainment
- Rent out the Plaza in Ocean City, MD for a week for friends and family to vacation, of course I would then have to rent out Fish Tales for some evening festivities
- Get my wife some nice jewelry
- Host Christmas in July every year, I will dress as Hermey and hand out presents. Two Xmas’s a year are surely better than one.
Wow that’s a short list. Oh wait one more, buy myself a new hoody. That’s it. Kind of boring I know, but I guess its par for the course.
So what would you do?